1. RIGHT to health care and humane treatment.
2. RIGHT to choice of care.
3. RIGHT to acceptable safety.
4. RIGHT to adequate information and consent.
5. RIGHT to redress of grievances.
6. RIGHT to participation and representation.
7. RIGHT to health education.
8. RIGHT to a healthy environment.
1. The patient shall ensure that he or she knows and understands what a patient’s right are and shall exercise those rights responsibly and reasonably.
2. The patient shall keep appointments and shall inform the health professional if unable to do so.
3. The patient shall provide accurate and complete information which the health professional requires about his or her health and ability to pay for health services.
4. The patient shall inform the health professional if he or she is currently consulting with or under the care of another health professional or provider of traditional health care in connection with the same complaint or any other complaint.
5. The patient shall ensure that he or she understands the purpose and cost of any proposed investigation or treatment before deciding to accept it. The patient shall insist upon explanations until adequately informed and consult with all relevant persons before reaching the decision.
6. The patient shall accept all the sequences of the patient’s own informed decision.
7. The patient shall establish a stable relationship with and follow the treatment determined by the health professional primarily responsible for the patient’s care.
8. The patient shall so conduct himself or herself so as not to interfere with the well being or right of other patients or providers of health care.
9. Every individual has a responsibility to maintain his or her own health and that of society by refraining from indulging in : – unhealthy food consumption; – addiction forming substances such as dadah, tobacco and alcohol; – lifestyles that have an adverse impact on health such as sexual promiscuity, reckless activities, and physical inactivity; and – contamination of the environment.
10. Every individual has a responsibility to accept all preventive measures sanctioned by law.
11. The patient is encouraged to have a family doctor, dentist and pharmacist to ensure that there is continuing health care for the patient and the patient’s family.
12. The patient shall not misuse health care facilities. – the patient shall understand and comply with all rules, regulations and instructions established in various departments and wards. – the patient shall co-operate with the health providers in the smooth running of departments and wards.
13. Every individual has the responsibility to ensure that resources are spent wisely on social and health services.